I’ve said it before and I will say it again. Breakfast is the best meal of the day! I found this amazing recipe for a simple baked oatmeal and adapted it a little to use what I had in my fridge and pantry. I also think bananas are sweet enough and don’t need any additional sweeteners so I omitted them. Plus, I thought egg whites should be whisked with an electric mixer for extra fluffiness. And I was right.
Ingredients (serves 1):
1 medium banana
2 egg whites
3 tbsp rolled oats
1 tsp baking powder
10 chopped walnuts
2 chopped dried figs*
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-2 splashes rice milk
1. Cut the banana in half lengthwise and save ¼.
2. Mash up ¾ of the medium banana. Add 2 egg whites and whisk them together with an electric mixer. Don’t overbeat it, you just want your egg whites to get foamy and to mash the banana a little more. Add 3 tbsp of rolled oats, 1 tsp baking powder, 10 chopped walnuts, 2 chopped dried figs, 1 tsp of vanilla extract and 1-2 splashes of milk.
3. Give the mixture a quick whisk with the electric mixture and pour in a small casserole. Slice up the left ¼ of the banana into thin slices and add on top of your mixture (you can also use the entire banana in the batter and top your mixture with sliced pears or apples).
4. Bake at 190 degrees Celsius for about 20 minutes. Take out of the oven, let cool a bit (this is the hardest part!) and dig in!
* Feel free to substitute the dried figs with raisins or any kind of dried fruits.