Autumn is such a lovely time of the year to me. The nature turns into all these lovely bright colors, you can smell chestnuts roasting everywhere, the rain makes the world smell so amazing, the wind messes up your hair but you don’t really mind.. ah, I really am a hopeless romantic. One other thing that I find so great about Autumn are the warm and homely meals that fill our homes with amazing smells and our stomachs with undescribable warmth. This here is one of those meals.Idea from a Bon Apetit recipe.
Ingredients (serves 1 as a main or 2 as a side dish) :
250 g Brussels sprouts
1/2 medium onion
2-3 handfuls chanterelles, washed and roughly chopped
bacon, cut into small pieces
salt, thyme and cayenne pepper to taste
1. Wash the Brussels sprouts and cut them in halves or quarters, depending on their size. Bring a small pot of salted water to a boil, add the Brussels sprouts and cook for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. In a medium pan, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove from the pan.
3. Cut the onion and add it to the pan in which you cooked the bacon and cook it until golden.
4. Add the chanterelles, salt and thyme and cook until all the water from the mushrooms evaporates.
5. In the meantime, in a separate pan, heat some olive oil and add the cooked Brussels sprouts. Add some cayenne pepper and grill until golden brown.
6. Add the bacon and chanterelles to the Brussels sprouts, give them a quick toss and serve immediately.