Millet is a healthy and often overlooked gluten free grain that offers a variety of options to create sweet or savory dishes. I personally love to make this apple, dried fruits and almond version of millet porridge for breakfast. It’s a quick and simple alternative to yogurt and granola or eggs and bacon which will keep you feeling full for quite some time.
Ingredients (serves 1):
40 g millet porridge
1/3 cup rice milk
1/3 cup water
1 medium apple, peeled and grated
1 handful sultanas
3 dried plums, chopped
6 almonds, chopped
1. In a small cooking pot, bring the porridge, milk and water to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for about 10 minutes. The cooking time depends on the type of milk you use. I find it takes a little longer with regular milk.
2. In the meantime, peel and grate the apple, slice the dried plums and prepare the sultanas.
3. Heat a small pan to a medium heat and add the chopped almonds. Roast until golden brown.
4. Add the apple, dried plums and sultanas to the cooking millet and cook for additional 5 – 10 minutes or until all liquid evaporates. Remove from heat and let sit for a few minutes if you have time. The porridge will puff really nicely.
5. Transfer the porridge to a bowl and sprinkle with roasted almonds. Serve immediately with a large cup of green tea.