Sweet Potato & Lamb Moussaka
As you could have figured out by now, I like taking traditional recipes and changing them up to make them either healthier or fit my blood type. No matter how much one can get used to eating healthy, you miss the food you used to eat from time to time. I always loved moussaka and I’ve missed it quite a lot since I stopped eating potatoes. And this is how I came to the idea of making moussaka with sweet instead of regular potatoes. I also opted for minced lamb meat since it’s really beneficial to my blood type. This moussaka can of course be made with beef or pork minced meat or a combination of the two. It can also be made using regular potatoes following the same instructions but cooking them for additional 5 – 10 minutes.
Ingredients (serves 1):
180 g minced lamb meat
½ medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 medium zucchini
½ medium sweet potato
1 – 2 tbsp sour cream
1. Heat a non-stick pan with some olive oil to medium heat. Add onions and cook until golden brown. Add garlic and give it a quick stir before adding the minced lamb meat. Season with salt and cayenne pepper and cook for about 20 minutes. Right at the end, add about 2 tsp sweet paprika, stir and set aside.
2. Peel the sweet potato and cut it into thin circles. This is best done using a mandolin slicer. Bring a small pot of salted water to a boil, add the sweet potatoes and cook for about 10 minutes.
3. Peel the zucchini and slice it into small circles using a mandolin slicer. Heat a medium pan with olive oil, add sliced zucchini and cook for 10 – 15 minutes. Season with salt and thyme and set aside.
4. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
5. Grease a ceramic baking dish with some olive oil. Spread half of the cooked sweet potatoes evenly across the baking dish. Cover with lamb meat, followed by zucchini and finish with another layer of sweet potatoes.
6. Whisk together the egg and sour cream until smooth. Pour over the moussaka and distribute evenly.
7. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius. Serve immediately.