OK, these cupcakes might not be the healthiest thing I’ve posted on my blog but hey, it’s December and it’s nearly Christmas and I think we should all have a rich chocolaty dessert from time to time and just enjoy ourselves. But hey, that’s just me, a hopeless chocoholic. If you agree with me, here is a perfect recipe for you. I’ve been looking for a perfect recipe for the perfect combination of chocolate and coffee and found this one from Dulce Dough. I “healthfied” it by using spelt flour and brown sugar (you could also use Xylitol in the same amount) and made the coffee flavor more intense by adding instant coffee and adding my own frosting.
Ingredients (makes 12 cupcakes):
1 1/2 cups spelt flour
1/3 cup raw cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
¾ cup brown sugar
1/2 cup brewed coffee, cooled
1/2 cup oil
3 teaspoons cider vinegar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tsp instant coffee (I used Nescafé Gold)
40g chocolate chips
250ml whole cream
200g quality dark chocolate (70%)
3 – 4 tsp instant coffee
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, soda, and salt.
2. In a separate bowl, beat together the sugar, coffee, oil, eggs, vinegar, and vanilla with an electric hand mixer until well blended.
3. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat with an electric hand mixer until combined. Add the instant coffee and chocolate chips and whisk until evenly distributed.
4. Fill paper-lined muffin cups (mine are from Trgovina Popolna dekoracija and give the cupcakes a really Christmasy look) three-fourths full and bake at 175 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
5. Cool for 10 minutes then remove cupcakes from pan to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
6. To make the frosting, bring the cream to a boil and pour over the chocolate. Let sit for a few minutes then add the instant coffee and mix carefully to make the chocolate ganache. Place in the fridge (or on the balcony if it’s winter) and let cool. You are looking for a thick texture of the ganache to be able to pipe it on the cupcakes. Frost and decorate as desired and serve immediately or store in the fridge.